Thursday, June 14, 2012


Tool #10 Assignment:
Discuss at least three things you would want to make sure your students understand about being good digital citizens.
1-They have responsibilities anytime they use technology at school and at home.  These responsibilities are not to be taken lightly, and in order to maximize and get the most positive impact from technology, they are to assume these responsibilities.
2-Being online requires them to be aware of safety issues.  I would want them to know that while technology can have many beneficial aspects, there are also dangers to be cautious of.
3-I would want them to know that going online also requires them to have certain manners, or digital etiquette.  This would be a good time to also discuss online bullying.
Share at least one of the resources mentioned on the Ed Tech website that you plan to use instructionally.
I would use the terrific Brain Pop videos on digital citizenship.  They are well done and concise, yet powerful.  Also, students of many ages really enjoy Tim and Moby.
Explain briefly how you would "teach" the idea of digital citizenship to your students.
I would not isolate digital citizenship into a lesson.  Rather, I would inject digital citizenship into my lessons as appropriate. This is the most meaningful manner of making sure the message gets across.  As I come across a concept that needs addressing, I would bring it in at the suitable time and tie into the lesson that I am already teaching.  Just as technology touches many aspects of our lives, it makes sense that we would bring it in throughout the school day and lessons.
 Explain briefly how you plan to share the idea of digital citizenship with your parents.
Open House is a terrific time for me to discuss the points above, and share with my parents my expectations for my students when it comes to technology.  I would also give them tips to use at home to maximize the use of technology and do it in an effective manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment